Oral mucositis can be extremely painful and can result in an inability to eat, speak or swallow. Magic mouthwash can provide relief.There are several versions of magic mouthwash that can be mixed together by our pharmacists. If it’s determined that magic mouthwash might be helpful, your doctor will write a prescription.
Magic mouthwash usually contains at least three of these basic ingredients:
- An antibiotic to kill bacteria around the sore
- An antihistamine or local anesthetic to reduce pain and discomfort
- An antifungal to reduce fungal growth
- A corticosteroid to treat inflammation
- An antacid that helps ensure the other ingredients adequately coat the inside of your mouth
If you have mouth sores, discuss your options with your doctor. In addition to magic mouthwash, medications and other treatments may help relieve your discomfort.
Source: Mayo Clinic